5.25.2011

almost a mica! part I

Ah, so the post we've all been waiting for :)

Last week I took a holiday to Washington, D.C. I got many worried looks from people who found out I was on vacation 3 weeks before my wedding - why not!?

As soon as I was confirmed an Anglican on Sunday, Miss Karen and I rushed to Jacksonville to catch our non-stop flight to our Nation's Capital. We were off to visit family, meet new family, and attend the 99th annual First Lady's Luncheon!!! David's Aunt Pat was chairmen of the event this year and I am still on cloud 9 that she included me as part of her invited entourage! The event started in 1912 as a breakfast hosted by the Congressional Club in honor of the wife of the President of the United States. Since then it has evolved into a lunch for about 2,000 Congressional Club members and guests. I will save the rest of the details for Part II.

We made a week-long vacation out of a 2 hour event and I was thrilled to be on a little mid-Spring vacation. David's sister Julianne lives in DC so she graciously hosted me on Capitol Hill and sister Allison joined us for less than 24 hours all the way from Kansas. We all had a fabulous time and got to see some amazing stuff! My favorite part though was meeting more of David's family before the wedding, as you know...I'm almost a Mica!

Florida House:


ah, the florida house...did you know that florida is the only state with a state embassy?! it's fabulous and open to all visitors - where you can get a fresh cup of oj...and meet my soon-to-be-sister-in-law Julianne who works there!

and it's two blocks behind the capitol - not bad

inside you are greeted by beautiful citrus arrangements and highwaymen paintings



the space is most often used by floridians to host receptions and for congressmen or other elected officials to do some work away from the office

this is the spectacular view that the logo was based off of
(unfortunately since 9/11 the immediate view is that of security portables!)


U.S. State Department:

julianne arranged for her mother and I to have a tour of the state department's diplomatic reception rooms - what a treat! this tour is opened to all tourists but requires set-up in advance. it's nice because it's a little of the beaten path of monuments and such. the state department is where foreign officials are greeted, etc. the diplomatic rooms feature some of the finest american antique furniture and paintings.

I would take this rug as a wedding present :)

one of thomas jefferson's desks...looks like a drafting table of sorts

george and martha washington's presidential china

I was fascinated by all the intricate window treatments


United States Botanic Garden:

when I walked in I saw this and I was in heaven.
I absolutely loved the botanic gardens!!

beautiful and dramatic orchid displays on top of huge columns

I want these lantana topiaries by my front door - I had never seen them in topiary form



so lush and beautiful



miss karen and her favorite fern



Hillwood Estate:

hillwood museum is the estate of majorie merriweather post...
where fabulous lives! hillwood is located in northwest dc and is a hidden jewel! mrs. post was the sole heiress to the post company. she had an exquisite detail for living luxuriously and collecting extravagantly!

the details in her home were amazing...look at that velvet chandelier cord and medallion cover

her china collection was vast and she loved to entertain!

her garden breakfast room - my favorite room



just a peek at her royal collection

her motion picture room - check out the custom sofas with a drink table pull-out


a collage of her custom switch plate covers - fabulous!

guest bedroom sign


why not trim your closet hat shelves with ribbon?!

mrs. post's dressing room
this one's for you david!

hillwood is also well known for its variety of gardens. for me I was in peony heaven as they were blooming everywhere in dc

a tranquil tour through the oriental gardens



Library of Congress:
On Tuesday evening we attended a reception at the breathtaking Library of Congress. Afterwards, we joined David's DC family at Acqua Al 2 for a delicious Italian meal!

julianne, mc, and miss karen with a great backdrop

as we left the reception I noticed the palmettos planted in front of the library and thought of home.

We also toured the DAR Museum, where I thought of my Grandmother Mary Elizabeth, she would be proud to know I was there, and enjoyed a brief tour of the Chester Dale Collection exhibit at the National Gallery followed by an afternoon coffee and croissant in the NG Sculpture Gallery {thought of your KBK!!}.

to be continued...

2 comments:

Heather said...

BEAUTIFUL! I love that the peonies were in bloom :) And Mary Elizabeth would be darn proud of you, for sure.

Kristen + Jason said...

What a great post! I used to go to the botanical gardens during my lunch break -- it was such fun to walk around!

It looked like a lovely visit!!