...I attended Florida State University. It is true. Not to this day does anyone ever understand why I chose a school based on the academic program and not the football program. I only ever went to two FSU football games while I was in school - one as a confused freshman where I wore "fall colors" and the second and last as senior...and I wore orange and blue and got many a snide remark and roll of the eyes.
All this to say - I still love Florida State. I do think it has a more beautiful campus than the other school. I was expressing this to David this morning, as I often do, on the phone and told him he could disown me if he'd like but I would always feel this way. Part of the new {thoughtful} construction, revitalization, and restoring of FSU's historic buildings is due in part to Past President T.K. Wetherell in conjunction with FSU's own Master Craftsmen Studios. There are no words to describe this program the justice and beauty it deserves. It is not only a working artists' studio but a degree program creating some of the finest commissioned work you may ever see. Almost all the statuary, benches, and stained glass on FSU's campus is done by the students of the MCS. Click on the link above for more info. It's a phenomenal program that is unlike any other.
Today I had the pleasure of touring their facility {which they are currently fundraising for a major addition to the facility}. I loved everything about it. The director personally gave me a tour and explained many of their processes and finished work. They also do a lot of pieces for the Ringling Museum down in Sarasota and private commissioned work. I told the staff and students how much I loved being in the midst of the paint and plaster mess and creativity and they said I was always welcome to come back!
Now, if this post seems to have no clear subject here is where my story comes full circle. I may be a gator but...I am thrilled to have just been hired {well, my design firm...but basically moi} to re-design Coach Jimbo Fisher's office - the new head football coach!! You may have heard about Bobby B. leaving. Anywho, this is a BIG deal and I am beyond thrilled. I'm trying to compare it to if I, the gator fan, was just hired to design Urban Meyer's office. We're competing against the likes of Nick Saban, etc. people, but in the high-end office design field. And part of our project includes the talent and skill of the Master Craftsmen Studios - hence why I was there today. See, I told you, full circle.
More on Coach's project to come. We have a major deadline to meet...and no it's not the fall. Unfortunately, it's way before that. I have a feeling this is how I could earn the respect of my college friends who will never understand my college football issues. Or maybe earn the respect of my brother-in-law who still just doesn't get it. If not, perhaps I will pay them to understand - signed memorabilia anyone??
I just hope none of the head honchos at FSU don't get word of my little secret ;)
5.25.2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I had an inkling as to where you were going with this ... and I'm in total agreement that FSwho has the better campus (and design program) ... and so it is without further ado that I say, GO GATORS :)
Congratulations Mary! So exciting to design Jimbo's office. I also will agree that FSU has a prettier campus. That was something that sold me. No Gators for me... GO NOLES
man you are really pressing your luck.
wow, david left his first comment! this is a monumental occasion. I should talk about my love for FSU's campus more often...j/k :)
Im a stalker from Lane's blog:) Isn't the Master Craftsman studio awesome? My Dad owns a welding/blacksmith business (www.Bettingerwelding.com) and he does alot of work with the guys out there. We are about to start working on the football locker room renovations and hopefully we will be working on structural repairs at the stadium soon too. I think we are on the same deadline as you! It's insane!
You make me proud, Mary!
Post a Comment